Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Portfolio Semester 6

Construction Law (QSB 4414)

Lecturer: Sr. Eddie Lim Sek Cheon

The module provides an understanding of the principles of construction laws and its applications. By understanding the basic principle of construction law, the importance of adhering to the specific procedures and notices are emphasized. The next phase is to develop an in-depth knowledge on the application of the law and the remedies available to the parties. Subsequently, students will be able to adopt a systematic approach to analyze disputes and the respective liabilities. Lastly, this module focuses to enhance the students’ knowledge on matters involving contractual claims and its assessment.

Objectives:
1) This subject allows me to understand the general principles on the formation of a contract and remedies in the event of breach.
2) This subject enables me to understand the roles and liabilities of architects, quantity surveyors and other professionals in relation to professional negligence and the use of collateral contract.
3) This subject allows me to appreciate the laws relating to payments, contractual claims and interpretation rules of ambiguity found in documents.
4) This subject enables me to understand the laws relating to land and construction industry with regards to National Land Code, Street, Drainage and Building Act, Uniform Building By-Law, Strata Title Act, etc.
5) This subject allows me to appreciate the principles and procedures of litigation, arbitration, adjudication and other alternative dispute resolution (ADR) stated by the Malaysian Government and Standard Form of Contract.

Learning Outcomes:
Through the study of this subject,
1) I am able to identify, explain and distinguish the various laws related to the construction industry including land law and construction statutes by demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the principles in law, conditions of contract and the applicable statutes.
2) I am able to analyze, interpret and apply this knowledge on the principles of law in administration of contracts and contractual claims including providing evidence of reasoned advice in relation to contractual claims and interpretation of any discrepancies of various contract documents.
3) I am able to take appropriate methods of dispute resolution for different situations arising from construction contract.

Module Schedule:




Coursework 1: Seminar

Objectives:
1)  It allow me understand and master the topics that had been taught.
2)  It allow me to improve my presentation skills.
3) It allow me to identify, analyze and apply the principles of construction law in different situations.

Learning Outcomes:
Through this assignment,
1)  I am able to understand and master the topics that had been taught. 
2)  I am able to improve my presentation skills.
3) I am able to identify, analyze and apply the principles of construction law in different situations.


      Coursework 2: Loss & Expense Assessment Submission




Objectives:
1) It allows me to assess the claim for loss and expense. 
2) It enables me to understand and apply the concept learnt during the assessment.

Learning Outcomes:
Through this assignment, 
1) I am able to assess the claim for loss and expense.
2) I am able to understand and apply the concept learnt during the assessment.


Mid-Term Exam

Objectives:

1) It allows me to identify the principles of construction law in different situations.
2) It allows me to analyze the principles of construction law in different situations.
3) It allows me to apply the principles of construction law in different situations.
4) It allows me to understand and master the topics that had been taught.

Learning Outcomes:

1) I am able to identify the principles of construction law in different situations.
2) I am able to analyze the principles of construction law in different situations.
3) I am able to apply the principles of construction law in different situations.
4) I am able to understand and master the topics that had been taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment